Arc Emergency Help

You want to know that dirty little secret no one talks about in high school? Uni life can sometimes be hard.

Need help now?

Sure, there are new people, parties, and a 26 week work year but there’s also the stress of maintaining your WAM, major life adjustments, and the crushing realisation that the world thinks you’re an adult now; an adult who has their sh*t together. You might be secretly struggling with study, bills, family, health and feel like you’re all alone. Well, Arc is here to help.

Legal & Advocacy 

You can talk to Arc Legal & Advocacy about the services available to help you get through the rough times so you can get the most of Uni life. Legal & Advocacy can also assist with related welfare issues that students may be experiencing:

  • Centrelink and crisis payments 
  • Debt recovery 
  • Tenancy 
  • Apprehended Violence Orders and police matters. 

In cases where we absolutely cannot help, we can also point you in the direction of more appropriate services. For more information about any of these services, please contact Arc Legal & Advocacy

Crisis Accommodation 

Short-term emergency accommodation is available for UNSW students who demonstrate a genuine need, and meet other eligibility criteria (including a means test), to allow time to arrange a more permanent and safer place to live.  

You might need crisis accommodation if you are:

• homeless, or couch surfing with family and/or friends; or 

• feeling unsafe or at risk in your current housing situation (e.g. from domestic violence or abuse); or 

• living in substandard or hazardous living conditions (e.g. where there is overcrowding or a lack of essential services)

Applicants must complete an application form and return it with the necessary supporting documents: 

• Current UNSW Student Identification Card; AND 

• Recent bank statement 

• Referral from a Professional Authority

If you need help but you’re not sure if you qualify, please contact Arc Legal & Advocacy to discuss your options. 

Care packs

Care packs are available for those times when you’re caught off guard and just need the basics right now, no waiting.

Students can request:
• Food pack – contain basic food items, e.g. soup, lentils, beans, canned veggies, tuna, breakfast bars

• Hygiene pack – shampoo, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, toilet paper

• Baby pack – baby food, nappy, baby wipes, and soap

All you need to do is ask at Arc reception.