Supervisor Award Background
Supervisors must adhere to minimum standards when they interact with
their Higher Degree Research students, such as the UNSW Code of Conduct
and other policies set out by the Graduate Research School. However,
there exist supervisors who display exemplary behaviour beyond the
minimum requirements who deserve recognition for their hard work in
supervising research students. The PGC Supervisor Awards were
established to acknowledge these dedicated supervisors.
- 'Supervisor Award' - to be given to successfully student-nominated supervisors.
- 'Outstanding Supervisor Award' - to be given to the top few student-nominated supervisors based on their nomination form.
Together with the Research Student Awards, and outstanding supervisors will additionally be featured in the GRS Newsletter.
- Any person who was the supervisor or co-supervisor of a UNSW HDR student in 2017 or 2018 may be nominated.
winners of the 'Outstanding Supervisor Award' are ineligible for the
'Outstanding' class of award, but may be nominated again for the general
- Nominations are for individual supervisors only - groups of supervisors/supervisory panels are not allowed.
- Each supervisor must be nominated by a student, and the nomination seconded by at least one other student.
- Each student may only nominate one supervisor.
Nominations will be judged by this year's PGC. Since the PGC is
composed of postgraduate students, it is important to consider conflict
of interest if a member of the PGC personally knows one of the student
nominees. In that case, the PGC member will abstain from judging the
given nominee. Scores given by the other PGC members for that nominee
will then be weighted appropriately.
You can view previous PGC Supervisor Award recipients from the following years: