Rules of Arc Elections
The rules of Arc elections are set out in Arc's Regulations. All students participating in any of the Arc elections should read the Regulations prior to submitting their nominations.
All candidates and their nominators must be current members of Arc and students of UNSW at the close of nominations.
- Arc membership expires on 31 December of each year. To be a current member, you must renew your membership at the beginning of each year by logging into OrgSync and updating your membership.
- Nominators must be students who also qualify to nominate as a candidate at the election for which the candidate is nominated.
- For example, a candidate running for the Undergraduate Councillor Electorate A position must be a member of Arc and a UNSW undergraduate student enrolled in a course which falls under Electorate A (as defined below). Therefore the two (2) nominators for this candidate must also be members of Arc and UNSW undergraduate students enrolled in a course under Electorate A.
- Students enrolled in double degrees are eligible to run in the elections under one electorate only. The eligible electorate is determined by the Faculty which administers the degree. For example, a student enrolled to receive a Bachelor of Engineering (Electorate B) and a Bachelor of Commerce (Electorate A) and the faculty which administers the degree is the Faculty of Engineering, the student does not qualify for any of the Electorate A positions.
- Electorates are defined by Arc's Regulations:
- Electorate A = Society & Culture, Education, Creative Arts, Law, Management and Commerce (including UNSW Australian School of Business, and UNSW Art & Design.
- Electorate B = Engineering & related technologies, Architecture & Building, Information Technology, Natural & Physical Sciences, Health and Agriculture.
- A person may not nominate themselves.
- If only one valid nomination is received for a position, the candidate will be declared appointed.
- Election results are released at the discretion of the Returning Officer; when they are satisfied that the results are true and accurate (to the best of their knowledge).
- UNSW Foundation Studies students are Associate Members of Arc and therefore not eligible to nominate, vote or campaign for any of the Arc elections.
- The Returning Officer, at their discretion, may caution, suspend or disqualify a candidate or ticket if the election rules are breached.