How to Apply for an exhibition:
AD Space operates on an open call out peer review model made by students for students. This means that our exhibition program is carefully curated from applications received in each call out. Applications are peer reviewed by our Kudos Committee – a group of students dedicated to facilitating and directing the AD Space Program and the Kudos creative program.
AD Space offers two open call outs each year to be a part of our exhibition program. Typically, callouts open for applications in the months of June and November. The Deadline for each call out may vary year to year so be sure to check our deadlines when they are published.
Applications are now open for the second season of AD Space exhibitions. We are seeking proposals from across the whole of UNSW Art & Design for consideration in our T3 2023 - T1 2024 exhibition season. Click here for more information.
To apply for an exhibition you will need to complete the following steps of our online application form:
- Exhibition proposal outlining your exhibition concept and a description of your work detailing how you will install your work and use the gallery space. No longer than one A4 page. Max. 3000 characters.
- Two preferences for exhibition dates (minimum). Note that provision of gallery minders is your responsibility and exhibition dates are subject to applications received in each round.
- Biography of the group/class
- Include details about the relevant course, assessment brief and assessment criteria for the task (max 150 words).
- Visual support material communicating your practice and envisioned exhibition. Examples of support material include: diagrams of the proposed exhibition layout, works to be exhibited, previous works and mockups or sketches of the envisioned exhibition.
- One PDF document of images. One image/video still per page.
- Max 10 minutes of video.
- Please upload videos to an online provider (e.g. YouTube, Vimeo, Google Drive). Use WeTransfer (www.wetransfer.com )for files larger than 3MB.
- Include links to the online videos in your PDF.
- Max 10 images for solo exhibitions; up to 6 examples
- Max 20 images for group exhibitions; up to 10 examples.
- All images must be clearly and correctly labelled with the artist's name, title, date, medium, and dimensions of the work, image credits.
- e.g. (Boba Well, 2019, Dylan Goh, fired ceramics, pulley, rope, rice bucket, freshly-brewed milk tea, 160 x 42 x 42 cm; courtesy the artist.)
We welcome applications from everyone in our community. If you require help with navigating the application due to accessibility needs, please reach out to the AD Space email.
The AD Space Coordinator looks for structured, conceptually considered proposals. They are well-supported by visual material and present a feasible outcome which acknowledges the possibilities and limitations of the Gallery / Corridor Space.
The 4 criteria are:
- The clarity and rigour of your proposal.
- The quality and consistency of the support material provided and its ability to effectively demonstrate the aims of the proposal as well as your overall practice.
- The possibility of the project - the scope of the proposal must be viable to produce and/or implement within the space and time frames elected in the Application Form.
- Alignment with AD's mission
- A Bond of $200 is required to secure space at AD Space. This bond is payable upon receipt of contract when the exhibition proposal is accepted, paid to the Arc Creative Manager, Kieran Butler at the Arc Creative Office.
- At AD Space, artists are given the option to have AD Space supply a basic opening night drinks/bar service package, free of charge. This includes drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), Ice, bar and beverage equipment, and bar service. If this option is selected, AD Space retains all profits made on beverage sales. If you choose to supply your own beverages, AD Space will provide the Ice, bar and beverage equipment, and bar service only. In the case of the exhibiting artist supplying their own beverages, the artist is allowed to keep 75% of the profits made on beverage sales, with the remaining 25% of sales going towards AD Space as a commission for service.
- All other exhibition and opening night expenses are the responsibility of the artist/s including opening night refreshments and any equipment required not normally provided by the gallery.
- The price of works for sale will be determined by the artist/s and will include the 25% Gallery commission and GST (where the artist/s are registered with an ABN).
- Arc @ A&D Grants are not available for exhibitions at AD Space.
Open Hours and Minding
- The gallery MUST be open during the advertised gallery opening hours. There will be no exception.
- The gallery open hours are Monday to Friday, 11am - 4pm.
- The exhibitor/s is/are responsible for minding the gallery for the duration of the show. If you are unable to mind the gallery at any particular time, please tell the Gallery Coordinator before your show opens so we have time to find help for you.
- Financial penalties apply and will be taken from your bond if gallery hours are not kept.
If any concerns or limitations arise for you from the terms and conditions outlined above please make an appointment with the Arc Creative Manager and AD space Coordinator to come to an alternative agreement. Please don't hesitate to send any questions to the AD Space Coordinator, Rory Moy, firstname.lastname@example.org