How To Adult | Access Health Services

by Maejoy Obach (HR Intern)

As a UNSW student, you have access to an array of perks related to medical and health services which you may not even know about. Keep reading to find out what you need to know.

What’s available on campus?

Please note that these services cater for students and most offer bulk-billing services and student discounts.

  • UNSW Health Service (Ground Floor, East Quadrangle) – your all-in-one service to help with anything health related. They have male and female doctors on site.
  • Counselling and Psychological Services [CAPS] (Kensington and Paddington Campus) – the place to go when you’re stressed, needing psychological support or need someone to talk to.
  • Lifestyle Clinic (Corner of Botany and High Street) – the clinic is staffed by Exercise Physiologists who provide physical activity and lifestyle programs to prevent and manage chronic disease, injury and disability.
  • Optometry Clinic (Rupert Myers Building) – your student clinic that conducts free eye examinations during semester. They also offer you 20% off spectacles and contact lenses. 
  • Physiotherapy (Tenancy 10, Uni Terraces) – assessment and treatment for musculoskeletal injuries. No referral needed and they offer student discounts.
  • Medibank (Blockhouse) – a private health insurer right here at UNSW. They are UNSW’s preferred Overseas Student Health Cover provider.
  • Dentist (Lower Ground, West Quadrangle) – a private practice that takes appointments over the phone or in-person. Their number is (02) 9313 6228. 
  • There is also a Chemist and Pathology Service available on campus.

Uni stress is getting to me but I can’t afford to pay for a psychologist. Help?

Don’t fret. Firstly, CAPS has psychologists available at the Kensington Campus with whom you can book a free on-the-day consultation. A handy hint: if you are covered by Medicare, you may be able to access up to 10 subsidised psychologist sessions. Qualifying for this is usually by having a Mental Health Treatment Plan written by your GP. Click here to read this article by Beyond Blue and find out more information about this. Alternatively, visit the UNSW Health Service to find out more.

I’m in an emergency. What do I do?

If you are on-campus, Campus Security is your first point of contact for any incident or emergency. They’re available 24/7 and their emergency number is (02) 9385 6666.

If you are off-campus, call Triple Zero (000) for police, fire, or ambulance. For non-urgent help, phone the police assistance line on 131 444.

Where can I find First Aid help on campus?

There are a few things you can do:

  • Go straight to the University Health Service – located on the Ground Floor of the East Quadrangle.
  • If you cannot make it there, contact Campus Security on (02) 9385 6000 and they will be able to help you. Each Patrol Officer carries a First Aid kit.