Find out as much about the interview as possible
· Identify the interviewers. What are their names and job titles?
· How long will the interview be?
· What format will they use?
· What do you need to bring on the day?
Conduct further research on the organisation and the position
· How much do you know about the organisation and position?
· Why do you want to join them? Why are you interested in the role?
· Prepare 4-5 questions to ask the interviewers.
Review your cover letter, resume and selection criteria
· Be prepared to elaborate on your experience.
· Consider the links between your previous roles and the new position.
Revisit the selection criteria for the role
· Prepare examples for each criteria using the STAR approach.
· Consider the ways you would handle a question about a negative situation.
· Consider what are your “selling points”. What can you bring to the organisation?
· Why should they offer you the position among all the applications?
Explore common interview questions
· Prepare a response for each:
· Tell us about yourself?
· What are your strengths and weaknesses?
· Where do you see yourself in 3/5/10 years?
UNSW Careers and Employment offer free one-on-one consultations on interview preparation and other career planning skills.