This policy covers all Arc: Sport Facilities Bookings, The Grad Shop, The Whitehouse, and Roundhouse customers and any other customers of retail or commercial departments of Arc.
2. WHO ARE WE?
‘We’, ‘us’, ‘our’ and ‘Arc’ refer to Arc @ UNSW Limited, ABN 71 121 239 674. ACN 121 239 674, PO Box 173 Kingsford NSW 2032.
Arc is committed to ensuring the privacy of your information by complying with the Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000, Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Bill 2012, the Australian Privacy Principles set out in the Privacy Act 1988 and the privacy provisions of all other applicable legislation. Arc acknowledges that the privacy of our customers' personal information should be treated with the utmost sensitivity.
The Department Manager
• Ensures that all employees of the department are aware of the policy and their responsibilities in regards to customer information and the Australian Privacy Principles.
• Promotes, administers, monitors, evaluates and reports on this Policy.
• Formulates and implements a procedure to respond to customers' requests to access and/or update their information within a reasonable time.
• Approves the release of information (Personal or Sensitive) to an external body or person.
• Receives and investigates any formal privacy complaints from customers.
• Reports on compliance with applicable legislation to Arc's board.
4. WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION ARC COLLECTS AND HOLDS
Personal information is any information about you, whether it is true or not, where your identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from that information.
Arc collects and holds information that we consider relevant for the provision of services to you as a customer.
Examples of personal information we hold include:
• Your first and last name (including title)
• Your student number
• Your contact details (including email address, mobile phone number, and address)
• Your age or date of birth
• Information about your university degree (including your faculty, attendance pattern, whether you're a local or international student, and the year you started University).
Additionally, for Grad shop customers:
• Times and dates of ceremonies
• Head circumference.
5. WHAT IS SENSITIVE INFORMATION?
Sensitive information is information about your:
2. racial or ethnic origin;
3. political opinions;
4. membership of a political association, professional or trade association or trade union;
5. religious beliefs or affiliations;
6. sexual preferences or practices;
7. criminal records.
We usually do not collect sensitive information about our customers but will do so when required or authorised by law, or where you consent to provide this information.
In the unlikely event, we have to source sensitive information about you, we will do so in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles and with other laws such as NSW and Commonwealth Anti-Discrimination Laws.
6. WHY AND HOW WE COLLECT YOUR INFORMATION
Your personal information will only be collected by Arc for us to be able to ensure that we are providing targeted, appropriate and useful services to our customers, and we will only collect information about you that is necessary to perform our functions and activities. Personal information is primarily collected directly from you when you fill out and submit one of our Arc forms, including online using our ordering systems (like InfoGenesis). We may also collect personal information when you contact us in person, via telephone, mail, fax, e-mail, or through our website and social media sites.
We also operate video surveillance at all our licenced premises (Whitehouse and Roundhouse) to ensure a safe and secure environment and to comply with our obligations under the NSW Liquor Act 2007 and the local Liquor Accord. Video footage is retained for a minimum 28 days and may be retained for longer periods where this is required by authorities for investigation of any breaches of the law. Some surveillance cameras operated on Arc premises also linked to the University of NSW network and information collected by those cameras may also be accessed by authorised University staff.
If you use our website or contact us by telephone or email to purchase goods, we will only collect credit card information where necessary to process your payment securely. All credit card data used for payments is encrypted and held to the highest possible security standards.
Certain information collected by Arc may also be collected by a third party which provides specific services to Arc. You may also be required to provide certain personal information to a third party when carrying out certain transactions, such as purchasing merchandise. These third parties have their own, separate privacy policies.
7. UNSOLICITED PERSONAL INFORMATION
In the event that we receive unsolicited personal information about you that we did not take any active step to receive, we will destroy or de-identify the information as soon as practicable.
8. DISCLOSURE AND USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will only use your personal information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles. These principles let us use your information for the purposes for which it is collected. When you provide personal information to Arc as a customer, this means your personal information may be disclosed to or used in connection with:
• The planning, improvement and actual provision of Arc services by Arc employees and other relevant contractors of Arc (i.e. including those people associated with Arc who would legitimately be entitled to have it disclosed to them)
• Allowing us to keep you updated on Arc's upcoming promotions, events and important news such as sales and special offers
• Internal purposes such as auditing, research and data analysis to enable Arc to improve its services for customers; and
• Complying with any lawful request to disclose the information.
At the time of writing this policy, Arc is not disclosing any personal or sensitive information about our customers to any overseas recipients.
Arc will never sell personal information to third parties or allow personal information to be used for direct marketing via third parties.
9. REMAINING ANONYMOUS
You have the option of interacting with us anonymously or using a pseudonym, however in situations where this is impracticable and we are not provided with the information, we will be limited in our ability to provide you with particular services.
Subject to some exceptions which are set out in the Australian Privacy Principles (Principle 12), an Arc customer can gain access to the personal information we hold about them by submitting their request to the Department Manager in writing.
We will respond in writing to written requests for access within a reasonable time. We may charge you an access fee in some circumstances.
If your personal information changes, you can contact the Department Manager and we will endeavour to update and correct the information we hold about you. In some cases, you are also able to update your personal information if it changes via your account, which you may access using a password-protected login. We may also contact you from time to time to check the information we hold is still correct.
12. INFORMATION SECURITY
We will keep your information in a secure environment and we train our staff to identify and manage privacy risks. We may store your personal information in paper and/or electronic form. We may use cloud storage to store the electronic form of personal information we hold about you, the cloud storage and the IT servers may be located in or outside Australia.
Information will only be retained for a reasonable period of time that is necessary for an authorised purpose. You can request us at any time, in writing, to destroy your personal information. We will fulfil this request so far as we are legally permitted to do so.
We use all reasonable means to prevent your personal information from misuse, interference, loss as well as unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
13. IMPLEMENTATION AND REVIEW
The policy will be reviewed and kept up to date as required by Australian Privacy Principle 1.3.
This policy will be available free through the Arc @ UNSW Limited website.
We are constantly reviewing all of our policies. As a consequence, we may change this policy from time to time or as the need arises.
15. CONTACT US ABOUT PRIVACY
Current contact details:
The Grad Shop: email@example.com
The Whitehouse: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you remain dissatisfied or have concerns about any privacy issue you may also contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner on 1300 363 992 or www.oaic.gov.au.
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner