In tax hell? Come along for some free tax help! 

Does calculating your gross income make you feel gross? The downside of having a job and earning $weet $weet moneyz is having to do your tax each year.

Tax Help is a free and confidential service to help you complete your tax return. Run by Arc student volunteers, the Tax Help team are not accountants, but are trained by the Australian Taxation Office and must pass an accreditation test to become Tax Help volunteers.

Make an appointment with our free tax helpers

Tax Help is open NOW! It will close in WK 7 (31 October). 


To be eligible for Tax Help, students must be a low income earner (around $60,000 per year) with fairly simple income from employment. Anyone with complicated tax matters (income from business, rental, royalties or foreign income) are not eligible.

Before your appointment

You need a myGov account to lodge your tax return online. If you do not have a myGov account, register at before your Tax Help appointment.

Where we are

Please go to Arc @ UNSW Clubs Space in the Arc Precinct, Level 2, Basser College (off Basser Steps) UNSW Kensington campus at your scheduled appointment time, with the applicable documents (as above). 

What to bring 

  • your myGov user ID and password
  • your tax file number
  • an original or amended notice of assessment from any one of the last five years, that was issued before May 31 this year
  • your BSB and bank account details
  • your Medicare card or number
  • your private health insurance statement showing your fund details
  • all your statements from banks and financial institutions showing interest you received during the income year
  • all your PAYG payment summaries from your employers
  • all your payment summaries from super funds
  • details of all your income from Centrelink (including details of any tax-free pensions or benefits)
  • all your dividend, super and managed fund statements
  • all your foreign income details and pension statements or details of the amounts you received
  • all your employment termination payment summaries
  • all your receipts for gifts, donations and work-related expenses
  • your details of any child support payments made
  • your details of any losses on investments in shares and rental properties (net investment losses).

If you had a spouse - married or de-facto - at any time during the financial year, you also need to bring details of their taxable income, including any of their documents, to your appointment. We will need this information to complete certain labels on your income tax return.

If you are experiencing issues with tax returns from previous years, contact UNSW Tax Clinic for advice. 

Australian Tax Office



As a Tax Help volunteer you will be much more than just a volunteer. You will be a lifesaver and cash-saver by making taxes less taxing!

You will develop your skills in basic taxation through an intensive training program provided by the Australian Taxation Office – a great bit of work experience if you’re studying accounting!

Tax Help volunteers receive community and corporate recognition for meeting the high standards and targets of the program, so as well as providing you with lifelong skills for doing your own tax, volunteering at Tax Help will look suuuuuper great on your resume. 

Volunteering with Tax Help is also recognised on your Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS).


Intake | Applications have closed for 2019!

Time commitment | MODERATE

Tax Help

P:02 9385 7700

If you like this program you might also like...