Are you an emerging artist or designer, or still studying, and unsure how to kick off your career in arts? We interviewed local Sydney artist, Kieran Butler, and found out what their experience has been like and got some tips on how to be a more polished artist.
Kieran is an emerging photographic artist who works across moving and still image, object, and installation. Currently their research looks at applying transgender studies as a methodology for examining non-binary models of contemporary photographic practice, gender identity, and where these two histories might speak to one another. Kieran currently lives and works in Sydney, Australia.
Seven Hot Tips:
- Expect to fail, you need to fall before you rise and make shit art to get to the good stuff. Don't be afraid to put your work out into the world
- Always ask questions, the worst that can happen is someone says no
- Do your research! Research everything that presents itself to you to find out if it's the right fit for you. In most cases, this is as simple as a quick Google search or Facebook stalk
- Get an ABN, have a basic understanding of how to do your tax and get some small business management skills. When I say basic, I mean as simple as learning how to write and send an invoice and then follow it up
- Learn to write a basic budget and maybe consider becoming friends with Microsoft Excel
- Practice makes perfect, the more you practice the better you'll be. Sadly skills don't come as instantaneously as an Instagram like does (tbh even likes aren't instant). This applies to admin and writing as well as your art making
- Learn to deal with criticism; the good, the bad, the ugly, constructive or not. If you can't you're in the wrong industry and should consider a career change.