1. Kristofer Hivju
Kristofer Hivju is best known for his role as Tormund Giantsbane on Game of Thrones. On the 16th of March, he reported via Instagram that he had contracted the virus and was self-isolating at home with just a few minor symptoms. He urged the public to visit their country’s Center for Disease Control and follow all regulations.
2. Daniel Dae Kim
He is one of the most famous Asian American actors in the industry, and has appeared in multiple box office movies and TV series. A few notable examples include Hawaii Five-0, Lost, and The Good Doctor.’ On the 19th of March, he posted a video on Instagram announcing that he had tested positive for the coronavirus. Prior to the diagnosis, Kim was on the set of NBC's New Amsterdam series in New York. Production of the show has been shut down indefinitely. Kim is currently self-isolating in his home in Hawaii and has said that he is not 100% and was relying on a cocktail of drugs including malaria pills from Tokyo, which have been used to suppress the spread of the virus.
3. Andy Cohen
From the Real Housewives series to Watch What Happens Live, Andy Cohen is considered a god in the reality TV space and has been a mainstay in pop culture over the past few years. On March 20, he announced via Twitter and Instagram that he had tested positive for the coronavirus, and had been self-isolating. The Bravo Show will be on pause entirely for the time being, but Cohen has reportedly wanted to shoot the show from the comfort of his home, which goes to show his hard-working nature.
4. Mikel Arteta
Mikel Arteta was one of the first high profile victims of COVID-19 in the footballing world. He is a former player and the head coach of Arsenal Football club. A few days after Arsenal’s match with Olympiacos in the Europa League, Arteta was diagnosed with the virus. Reports indicated that he may have contracted the virus whilst shaking the hand of the Olympiacos owner, who himself had been reported to be carrying the virus. According to an official statement by the club, the team’s training centre has since closed and Arteta has been self-isolating in line with public health guidelines.
5. Kevin Durant
Two-time NBA champion and Brooklyn Nets forward reported that he tested positive for coronavirus on March 17 via sports media outlet The Athletic. He has reported that he is feeling fine despite his diagnosis. Currently, he is recovering from an achilles injury as well and hopes to return in time for the next season.
6. Charlotte Lawrence
She is a 19-year-old artist whose song ‘Joke’s on You’ appeared on the Birds of Prey soundtrack. On March 17, she took to Instagram to share that she tested positive for coronavirus. She urged her followers to keep up with the latest information about the virus and ‘Stay clean, Stay informed.’ She is currently in self-isolation but not showing any serious symptoms.
7. Colton Underwood
Loyal Bachelor fans look no further than Colton Underwood when it comes to an unforgettable season. On March 20, he posted a video to his Instagram telling followers that he had tested positive for the coronavirus. He has been quoted saying that the virus has been ‘kicking my ass.’ The 28-year-old urged his followers to stay at home and do their part. He has been self-isolating with his girlfriend and ex Bachelor contestant Cassie Randolph in their California based home.
8. Harvey Weinstein
#CancelWeinstein has been a transcendent topic of conversation from 2019 all the way into 2020 after his infamous sexual abuse crimes came to light. The New York Post confirmed reporting by the Niagara Gazette that Weinstein had tested positive for COVID-19 in an upstate New York Prison. Recent reports have gone on to suggest that there has been a surge in COVID-19 patients within the internal prison system. His lawyers told multiple sources on March 23 that they had not been notified about his condition. All that can be said is that this was a ‘win-win’ situation for the internet trolls and meme accounts everywhere.
9. Prince Charles
On the 26th of March, the news of Prince Charles catching COVID-19 caught the world by surprise as reported by the NHS and BBC. He is the first high profile royal to contract the virus. At the age of 71, he has been said to be displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health. It is said that he may have contracted the virus after personal contact during the Commonwealth Day Service and celebrations. Currently, he and his wife the Duchess of Cornwall are now self-isolating at Balmoral. His mother, Queen Elizabeth is currently in Isolation in the Windsor Castle and is healthy despite her ripe old age of 93.
10. Floyd Cardoz
As of 26 March 2020, the world lost one of its most renowned chefs in Floyd Cardoz. He was born and raised in India but went onto become the executive chef at Tabla which is a modern Indian restaurant he opened with Danny Meyer in 1998. He then went onto win the third season of Top Chef Masters. On the 18th of March, Cardoz tested positive for COVID-19 and was treated at the Mountainside Medical centre in New Jersey. He has received multiple tributes via social media from chefs around the globe.
11. Manu Dibango
Manu Dibango was a member of the legendary Congolese ensemble African Jazz band which is known for their 1972 hit ‘Soul Makossa.’ The 86-year-old was admitted to hospital to receive treatment for the virus. As of March 24, Manu Dibango was the first high profile celebrity to die of COVID-19 as announcement on his Facebook page. His funeral service was held in strict privacy and a tribute in his memory was organized.