If you're the victim of a crime...

You have the right to feel safe.

You should not be subjected to:

  • stalking;
  • threatening behaviour or language;
  • harassment;
  • intimidation; or
  • property damage.

If you feel threatened by anyone, seek help!

What can I do if I feel unsafe or threatened?

On campus

UNSW Security Services Safety Escort

UNSW Security Services provide a free escort service which is available to students,7 days a week, all year round.

UNSW Security service staff can escort you from your class to nearby car parks, bus stops, taxi ranks and some limited locations around the UNSW Kensington Campus.

You can request an escort from:

  • the Security Control Room (call 9385 6000)
  • any lift phone
  • any Help Point on campus.

UNSW Security Services Shuttle Bus

You can also use the Security Shuttle Bus Service which operates weeknights between 7pm and 11.30pm on weeknights (during session). The shuttle route covers Kensington Campus (car parks, colleges, libraries, State Transit bus interchanges) and Randwick Campus. There are seven bus stops on campus and five bus stops off campus.

For more information, have a look at the securities service's website here.

Report it!

Security Services should ALWAYS be your FIRST contact point for ANY incident or emergency on campus. Contact them on 9385 6666 or report an incident here.


Consider getting an AVO

What is an AVO? An Apprehended Violence Order (AVO) is an order made by a court to protect people from violence by restricting certain behaviour. You do not have to have experienced physical violence; the fear of violence is enough to apply for an AVO. An AVO will usually state that the person named in the AVO cannot "assault, threaten, harass, molest or stalk" you. You can ask that special conditions be attached to the AVO, for example, that the other person does not come within a certain distance of you, or stays away from your family. AVO's can also protect your property.

There are 2 types of AVOs:

  • An Apprehended Domestic Violence Order (ADVO) is an order taken out against someone with whom you have a domestic relationship (for example, against someone with whom you're intimate with or related)
  • An Apprehended Personal Violence Order (APVO) is an order against someone you do not have a personal relationship with (for example, against another student or a housemate).

How do I apply for an AVO? Do I need a lawyer?

You should not let the fact that you don't have a lawyer stop you from protecting yourself. You do not need to have legal representation to get an AVO.

Police can take out an AVO on your behalf if they are called to intervene in a situation, or you visit a police station with a complaint against someone.

If you do not want to involve the Police, you can apply for an AVO in person at your Local Court by speaking to a Chamber Magistrate.

While you do not have to be represented by a lawyer to take out an AVO, you should always get legal advice. If you feel threatened or afraid of someone on campus or off, Arc Student Support can help you apply for an AVO or just answer your questions.

What does getting an AVO mean? Will the other person be arrested?

Taking out an AVO against someone will mean they will have to comply with the terms listed in the AVO.

If the other person breaches any of the conditions listed in the AVO, you should call the police as it is a criminal offence.

Breaching an AVO is punishable by up to 2 years in prison, and a fine of $5,500.

Have you been the victim of a violent crime?

If you are the victim of a violent crime, you may be eligible for:

  • Financial Support
  • Reimbursed expenses
  • Approved counselling

You may be eligible for financial support if:

  • You are the primary victim of an act of violence, and are injured as a result
  • You are injured as a result of witnessing an act of violence
  • You are injured while trying to:
  • prevent someone from committing an act of violence
  • rescue or help someone from being the victim of an act of violence, or
  • arrest someone who is committing an act of violence

A claim for financial support must be made within 2 years of the act of violence occurring.

Where can I get help?

There are a number of places you can contact including;

The Victims Access Line which provides support, and referrals for counselling (9am - 5pm Monday to Friday).

Ph: 1800 633 063 

Domestic Violence Advocacy Service

Ph: 1800 810 784 or 8745 6999

Need more information?

If you are a UNSW student and Arc member we can give you free legal advice. Send us an email or contact Arc Reception to book an appointment with us.

Legal & Advocacy

P:(02) 9385 7700